We offer a certificate course called The Art and Science of Youth Work. The course blends the science of fundamental competencies and technical skills with the art of developing who you are and how you let that show up in your work. Great youth work balances both seamlessly. And the young people you support have better outcomes when you bring your whole self to the work.
This course covers all eight focus areas of our competency framework.
What You'll Learn
Focus Area 1: The Field of Youth Work
- Gain a broader perspective about the field of youth work and the value of a caring adult in the life of a young person
- Explore the broader context of your role as a youth worker
- Create a personalized self-care plan
- Learn the importance of continuing your professional development
Focus Area 2: Youth Development
- Learn the different development stages, channels, tasks, and milestones for middle childhood youth, pre-teens, and adolescents
- Gain strategies for helping young people navigate developmental changes
- Explore resources for positive youth development
Focus Area 3: Communications
- Review the fundamental elements of effective communication
- Learn how to use various communication strategies and techniques for certain situations
- Improve your conflict resolution skills
- Learn the Collaborative Problem Solving (CPS) approach
- Gain group facilitation strategies and skills
Focus Area 4: Ethics
- Learn the value of an ethical code of conduct
- Know the ethical responsibilities and professional principles of youth work
- Uphold healthy boundaries in your professional relationship with young people
- Apply ethical principles to the challenges faced in ethical dilemmas
- See intercultural engagement as a life-long process of intentional discovery and conscious practice
- Learn to recognize and address bias and prejudice, whether implicit or explicit
- Recognize how your cultural makeup influences your attitudes and beliefs about race, diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Gain confidence in talking about cultural differences
Focus Area 6: Behavioral Intervention
- Explore the connection between emotions and behaviors
- Learn how to identify the five zones of regulation
- Acquire intervention strategies to help youth avoid becoming dysregulated
- Learn how to help a dysregulated youth re-regulate their behavior
- Consider how your self-regulation plays a role in helping young people
Focus Area 7: At-Risk Behaviors
- Understand what drives risk-taking behavior
- Recognize the warning signs of unhealthy risk-taking behaviors
- Learn effective communication strategies for talking with young people about unhealthy risk-taking behaviors
- Know your role as a youth worker and the importance of consulting with your supervisor
Focus Area 8: Mental Health Basics
- Know your role and responsibility as a youth worker
- Recognize mental health issues prevalent among youth today
- Learn responsive actions you can take as a youth worker
- Know the community and professional resources available to youth
- Create good self-care strategies
How You'll Learn
- The certificate course is completely self-paced – you take it at your convenience, on any computer, tablet, or smartphone, from anywhere you have WiFi access.
- Complete each module in order. At the end of each module, you’ll find a link to complete the quiz for that module. You’ll need to achieve a score of 80% or better to pass each quiz.
- There is a final quiz to complete as well. With a passing score of 80% or better, you’ll then receive your Certificate of Completion.
- This course will count as 15 CE hours for most boards. Please contact your board directly with questions on submission requirements.
You can check out a free sample focus area module. No credit card or payment required. Have a look for yourself and see how this course can benefit you.
Have a question? Please call Barbara at 651.688.3866. Or, you can send us an email using the Ask a Question form and we’ll get back to you within 1 business day.
What Youth Workers are Saying
I came into the training a little biased because of my previous experience and education but honestly, I did learn new information, especially around mental health and at-risk behaviors. And I really see the value of the training for getting the whole team on the same page.
The Art and Science of Youth Work certification program was excellent. The focus areas provided quality content with useful tools for anyone working with youth. I would highly recommend this program to individuals working youth.
The training highlights a lot of different things that we encounter in our work and brings you back to the basics, helps you refocus and allows you to see the information from a new perspective, no matter what your level of experience is.
I decided to take it myself because I wanted to put my whole team through the training and was interested in knowing firsthand what the training provided. Having my team up to speed on these topics means a better program overall and the ripple effect of that for the youth and our community is huge. The benefits of this training far outweigh the cost.